Kirkland Signature – Organic Coconut Water
- Baba Ramdev and RSS puts pressure on government to put heavy taxes on Beverage giants Pepsi and Coca-cola for selling products of high sugar content
- Proposed tax level is 40%, which according to chief economic adviser (CEA) Arvind Subramanian is more than double of GST rate of 17-18%
- Coca-Cola contains 6 g of sugar per 100 ml i.e 26.5 g (equivalent of five-and-half teaspoons) in a 250 ml can which according to both parties is detrimental and are fueling obesity and poor health
- WHO says consumption of sugar in India is likely to rise to reach 35 million tonnes by 2019-20, or over 15% of global consumption
Read more at firstpost.com
- Representatives from Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali did not reveal if they intend to launch any desi versions of these beverages
- Earlier this year, Kerala Government introduced a 14.5% Fat tax on burgers, pizza, doughnuts and tacos.
- If the govt. imposes such heavy taxes on big FMCG giants like Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Co, then it may affects Indian operation and job security of thousands of people employed in Indian site
- Will it affect FDI?
- Are these beverage giants really responsible of rising rate of diabetes in India?
- The best way to combat this situation is to tweak the existing formulations of these soft-drinks and reduce the sugar level and use natural sweetener like Stevia.
- Definitely, it’s a challenge for their food scientist and marketing wing
- Hope Patanjali realizes that they will gain more respect by not doing ‘Below-the-belt marketing campaigns against their current or future competitors’.