- POMALID (brand name) capsule comes with generic version of active component Pomalidomide for patients with multiple myeloma (type of blood cancer) under specific condition
- Natco has given 98% discounted pricing of POMALID – 1 mg, 2 mg, and 4 mg capsules at an MRP Rs.5,000, Rs.10,000 and Rs.20,000 respectively, for a monthly pack of 21 capsules
- White blood cells (WBCs) like plasma cells helps produce antibodies to fight infections caused by bacterial and viral pathogens.
- When these plasma cells divide uncontrollably, then it leads to a state called Myeloma (rare type of blood cancer).
- What triggers such condition is still unknown.
- Anti-cancer Indian drug market is pegged at massive Rs.3800+ crore (FY17).
Natco’s lower-priced drug for cancer treatment will definitely help put lesser economic stress on the Indian patients. However, it maybe still out of reach for the cancer patients from lower-middle class and people under BPL (below poverty line).
More innovation is required in healthcare sector so that wellness industry can co-exist with sickness industry.
We need more cutting-edge precision technology which can detect the trigger-cause of cancers. One such company is Strand Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.